Friday, December 17, 2010

Grace the thief...

A few days ago we were at the Dollar Store doing some amazing Christmas shopping with the girls. Later that day I saw Grace playing with an ugly green balloon that I knew I had not purchased. When I asked her about it,I found out that she had stolen it from the store...
So, we had the talk about stealing, she wrote an apology letter to the manager and we put the slobbery balloon in an envelope to return to the store later.
Today was the big day to return and confess with letter and balloon in hand.
The manager was very poilet and listened to Grace quietly admit her wrong doing while hanging her head and trying to hide behind my leg.
The lady told her how proud she was of Grace for doing the right thing. She told her she was very brave and she was very happy she returned the balloon. She also told her stealing wasn't right and she hoped she would never do it again. The manager was perfect! As I was watching it all happen, a lady in the check out line was watching as well and we made eye contact. She gave me that - "You are doing the right thing look" and that's when I started to tear up. We thanked the manager and walked away both glad it was all over.
As I was buckling Willow in the van, the woman from the checkout came over to me and said, " I just had to tell you that you almost made me cry back there. You did the right thing by having her do that. You have to teach them while they are young." I agreed and thanked the woman.
I smiled as we drove away but my heart hurt for Grace too. "Mom, I'm really nervous," she said before we went in. " I know," I told her, "but I'm right here with you."
We talked about how when we make a wrong choice we can make it right by apoligizing and praying for forgiveness. Heavenly Father loves each of us so much and is so forgiving, I'm glad that a ugly green balloon reminded me of that today.

No comments: