Saturday, December 3, 2011

A few stops today:





I thought while I was still standing- we should make our rounds and drop off our food and toy donations around town today. So today was the day. We loaded up bags of toys & food for the fire station, Fred Meyer: Stuff the bus, the women & childrens shelter & the Mission.
I pray that 1 of the things my kids learn is the sprit of service and giving. I know I could do so much more, but I think Trav and I do a pretty good job at involving the kids in activities. We try to help our neighbors, we volenteer in community events, we help at church, the kids help deliver meals to those who are sick in the ward, help clean the church, help people move and we are always trying to find ways to life people up. I think it's one of the greatest things we can do- to help those in need and remind people they are loved.
We had a tour of the fire station today which the kids loved and a tour of our local Women's shelter. It was really cool to have the director take us around and show us the supply room, the kitchen, the donation area, food pantry & he intoduced us to residents and we talked to volenteers cooking in the kitchen. It was a great experience to involve the kids in and we hope to go back soon to serve a meal or make crafts with them. I took notes on what they need so if you have anything to donate they need: cereal, dish soap, laundry soap, shampoo & conditionor, newborn & size 1 diapers. Anything is greatly appriciated.
I taught a coupon class there a year ago and every time we drop stuff off- I have such an overwhelming sense that I need to be apart of an organization like that. I want to help people and because I don't have a lot to give, I know what I can give is my time. Mom has always told me to find a place to volenteer and do it.

1 comment:

Chelsea Stevens said...

Emily you are one of the finest examples of SERVICE. Your children are going to be serving fools. Thanks for your great example.