Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My sweet, sweet Evonne...

I met Evonne years ago when we lived in Boise. We were in the same ward at church and we lived across the street from each other. Awhile after, she discovered that I cleaned houses for a living and was needing some help, so she hired me. Little did I know that I would grow to love her like a Grandma. I used to take her grocery shopping, out to lunch, to the bank to cash checks, wrap christmas presents and write her holiday cards. We have sat and watched Jeporady, Wheel of Fortune, the news, ate candy together, de junked her craft room and had countless talks over the past 8 years about everything their is to talk about. (Seriously, we've covered every topic out there from birth control to gun control!)
The beautiful thing about our friendship is that we truely care and love one another. I am so excited to show her pictures from a recent trip, or vent about something,get her advice or tell her a funny joke- while she is happy to have a friend to talk to,a clean home, and have someone open her water bottles and put them back in the fridge for her. (she was born with 1 hand, so twisting caps off is kind of difficult to do. Every time I'm there, I un twist 4 or 5 bottles for her. One of my most favorite things to do.)All I can say is I love this woman with all my heart, so when she fell last week and broke her hip, a part of my heart shattered. I spent days talking to her son getting updates and then last Tuesday the girls and i went to see her at the hospital but were unable to go in. she had just been moved to the ICC and children were not allowed. We were so sad but were able to give our paper flowers, drawings and treats to her Grand daughter who was there visiting her. We finally went to see her yesterday at the new hospital she is at. It felt so great to see her, to talk with her and to tell her how much I love her. Of course she was so mad at herself for falling and she hated being in the hospital (she's been so independant and living on her own all these years.) i told her to hurry up and get walking so we could go have our lemon pie at Marie Calendars (something we were planning on until Tristin came down with Strep & Scarlet fever. Something I am so sad we haven't done yet.) She is hopeful she will return home and I am unsure if that will actually happen. I know what the reality is when someone is 93 with an injury, I know because I have found myself crying and unable to sleep at 3:00 in the morning because of it. I am not sure how much time we have left with her, but I do know that she is a fighter and if that plays into anything- she will be ok. I love my sweet friend with all my heart and it was so great to see her. As we were driving home Grace asked, "Mommy, why is Evonne so crinkley?" In my heart I answered, because she is 93, sweety, and she has lived a very long time...

1 comment:

Jana said...

Oh, what a sweet lady and what an amazing friendship you two obviously have! Em, that's one of my favorite things about you - you are always so genuine in your interactions with others. I'm glad you and your girls were able to have such a nice visit with her!