Sunday, November 21, 2010

Goodbye G-ma Lillian...






When we went home in May for my brother's wedding, I had such a strong impression that we should drive over to Sequim to see my G-ma. i didn't think it would be the last time I would see her or I would have stayed there a week. I did however know, that the small act on my part would make her entire day, and I knew we had to go see her. When we arrived, she was asleep in her wheel chair. I remember thinking, she is getting older isn't she? When she woke up it took her a few moments to realize we were standing there, she wasn't expecting us at all, but then that delighful look came over her and like always, she said "Oh, Emily."
I will miss her so much. She passed away on Friday and I am so thankful that my last memory with her was with my family eating chicken nuggets in the TV lounge.
I will cherish my years of playing Bingo with her, her sweet smile, the way she always asked about the kids, the way she adored me, being there at every activity and family event and her love for baseball.
I will fly home Thanksgiving to attend her funeral on Friday. It will just be Willow & I and we will stay until Monday.
I am thankful she isn't in pain anymore and I am thankful she is with her husband again.
My step Dad, Brent has been in my life since I was 6 and I am blessed to have 2 Dad's. It was his Mom and it hurts my heart to think of him without her now. Brent lost his father when he was 16 so, G-ma was his world. This past week as Mom has prepared her funeral arrangments and told me about Brent, my heart just ached for him. Knowing she was dying was really difficult. He drove over to see her several times a week because he just wanted to be with her, he didn't want to leave her side. Brent is always joking and never serious, but when it came to his Mom, he was a giant ball of emotion. He loved her, as we all did. We are just sad to say goodbye.
I know she is ok now- and if there is Bingo in Heaven, I'm sure she's beating everyone there! I love you G-ma

2 comments:

Jana said...

Oh, Emily, I'm sorry for your family's loss. I'm glad that you were able to see her that recently and that you'll be able to attend the funeral.

Marco and Lara Roetto said...

So sorry to hear about your grandma Em. I'm glad you followed your prompting to go see her- those are precious pictures.