Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Saying goodbye to G-pa Arthur...





On July 10th, my G-pa passed away. He was 84 years old, fighting Cancer and too fail to hold on any longer. My heart hurts for my Dad & Aunt Helene, as they have lost both of their parents now. We drove to Portland on Wed. July 14th and stayed 2 nights there. The funeral was very nice. We sang, we celebrated his life and we learned that he had even recieved a purple heart when he was in the Navy. When they removed the flag and began folding it, I couldn't hold back my tears. Watching the military men fold it pefectly and then had it to G-ma Virgina, was so touching.My heart hurt for Virgina as I thought how difficult it would be to lose your husband after taking care of him for so long. The hardest part for me though,was watching my Father during the funeral. As they were reading the letter he had written, I glanced over to see my Father struggling to hold back the tears. I just sat and watched his quivering chin and lips and it hurt to much to see him mourning the loss of his Dad. My love and compassion for my Father grew more in that moment.
The sad part of losing him is that I barley knew him. I have memories from when I was older, when I was in Jr. High and High school, going to see Dad, but we didn't have the relationship that I had hoped for. I sent pictures of the kids, and we stayed a night with them a few years ago,but the memories are few. I do remember him always playing the piano and singing though. We played Yahtzee when we were there, and we always signed the guest book as we entered their house. I hope that my Dad, Aunt& G-ma Virgina will be able to move on, heal, and remember what they did share with G-pa. It was a wonderful day and I am so grateful we could be there to share that moment with them.

No comments: