Thursday, November 4, 2010

Cement...

This morning I was brought to tears after I recieved an answer to a question I had been asking God for most of my life...

The truth is, I've really been struggling lately. Amazing I know. I can fool the universe if I try- but honestly, really struggling.
It's no mystery, dealing with depression since I was 8, it's just apart of my world, Mom calls it a vally right now.
I feel lost, sad, broken, unsure, insecure, terribly alone, panicked, unworthy, unloved, invisable, unraveled, ignored & disconnected from so many things. In one of my late night crying sessions with Andrea, I balled my eyes out pleading: "Why do I always have to be the strong one? Why do I have to keep it together all the time? Why do I always have to be the one calling others? Checking to see if everyone is ok when I am falling apart every single second and noboday has a clue?"
My main question for God has always been: "Why do I have to be so strong? I was born a warrior- but trust me, I get tired. I am exhausted every single second of my life because I never stop fighting this battle...

So on the way back from dropping Grace off at preschool, Daisy asked, " Mom, why does cement have to be so strong? Not thinking at all, I blurted out," Because it has to be honey. That's it's job. Somethings were made to be strong, somethings were made to be weak or fragile. But cement has to be strong because it's job is to keep things together, to help things not fall apart. Imagine how the world would be without it, God knew what he was doing making cement strong."

...and then it hit me. I was no longer talking to my 5 year old daughter about cement, God was reminding me why I had to be strong. " It's how I made you Em. you keep things together. It's your job. You keep things from falling apart. Think how the world would be if I made you any other way..."

I drove home in tears because it isn't always easy being the cement...

6 comments:

Amber said...

oh emily!!! i'm sorry you've been having a hard time!!! You never fail to amaze me with how great you are. you are an awesome mom and friend. You are very loved.

Chelsea and Shane said...

I love you sooooo much em and I wish that I could rush over to you right now. Heaven knows you deserve to be waited on hand and foot. I am so glad that you recognize your value. There is no other like yourself. Thanks for being strong and sharing in your sweet experiences.

Unknown said...

Im SO SO sorry things have been hard. But I am SO GLAD you had the courage to say so (thats progress!) Usually you do anything and everything in your power to convince us all that you are fine, so really this is a breakthrough :)

Can I interest you in a therapy session? You, me, and some alfredo???

I am always here for you. Even though I am phone retarded and out of minutes right now, which is why Im not calling. Please text me if you have time to see me next week! Even lunch at one of our houses!!! Ill come over with something greasy and delicious!!!

Love you. Lots and lots.

Tammy Williams said...

Hello Em, I am so sorry you have been struggling!! You are brave and beautiful to recognize your strength and have faith in it. I'm sorry I am unfortenetly not cement and I don't see the needs of others like I should when I am hurting and struggling too. Unless it is right in front of me I appareantly don't see it these days. SOrry for not being a better friend, you deserve nothing but wonderful friends surrounding you with love and support. I am here if you need me, I am so sorry things have been so hard, I do understand that. Luckely you have someone to poor your heart out to to help you threw it!! I love you!

Mariah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mariah said...

I know just how you feel! I go through this daily and I hate it. Us cement need to get a break once in a while. You are such a great person Emily, and so pretty! You are so crafty and smart, organized, loving, caring ect. You try your hardest to do it all and you have great leadership skills. When it comes to your calling (at least) just remember that you can ask for help and we will try hard to do it the way you would. You need a break too. Moms have it hard. I feel the same as you often. I know how it feels to be forgotten and alone and that nobody but you sees you for how great you really are. People think about you though, and they appreciate you and love you so much. Sometimes for me, I don't feel so much like cement. I feel like my body is the cement holding the rest of myself in. otherwise I would be like water. I would be so spread thin and just feel like evaporating into thin air. I wish I knew you better. I wish I could be more there for you. My friends and family don't know how to help me either though. I hope that isn't the case for you. I pray that you can have friends who know just what to say and when to say it. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Take care Emily