Monday, October 18, 2010

Poor Gracie...


Last week (I think Thursday), I was making food for the girls and Grace was running around her tent she had built in the living room, when all of a sudden a heard a terrible thud sound followed by a piercing scream. I looked over just in time to see Grace's forhead cut open and blood beginning to pour out. I grabbed her, picked her up and began appling pressure, but all I could feel was blood dripping from my fingers falling to the ground. I yelled for the kids to grab a towel and my phone and I sat on the floor with Grace. She was crying, I was covered inblood and I was trying to keep it together (I ABSOULTLY CANNOT HANDLE OPEN WOUNDS, AND ALMOST PASS OUT EVERY SINGLE TIME.) I managed to call Trav and tell him to hurry home (it was almost 3:00 and he was already on his way home from work.) I told him that Grace hit her head on the brick fireplace and that i didn't know how bad it was. I couldn't look because i knew I would pass out. He said he would hurry but he was still 20 minutes away. I was trying not to freak out, but I didn't know what to do for that length of time so I called my Mother in law who is a nurse. Right before the phone started ringing, I made the terrible mistake of moving the towel to look at her forehead. My body started tingling, the room started spinning, I could feel my face turn white as a ghost, I started sweating and I could feel myself slipping. Edith answered the phone and I could hardly talk. My tounge was limp and it took me forever to get the words out,but I told her Grace hit her head and there was blood everywhere. I sat there applying pressure to her head, slipping out of unconsiousness. I kept praying: "Please God don't let me pass out, I'll drop her and I don't know how bad it is."
Daisy was crying, Tristin was sick that day and out of it, and I knew we'd be in trouble if I couln't stay awake. I tried singing, but my tounge wouldn't move, I prayed again, but the room was spinning and I was almost out. I felt so helpless to protect my daughter. Edith & Max arrived and I just sat there with my head rested on my arms. She told me to lay down and after 25 minutes I could feel the blood rush back to my body and things normalize again. Trav finally arrived and assessed the damage over his Mom's shoulder. Edith checked her out and said she probably didn't need stitches. She taped her forhead back together, but it bled for a long time. I gave her Tylonal that night, but she acted fine shortly after the ordeal. Edith said I probably suffered more than she did! It was scary! Edith has changed the bandages twice, and said it hasn't closed yet, but the strips are keeping it closed until it heals. I still cannot stomach the idea of looking at it yet, so I haven't. I am just so thankful she is alright.

2 comments:

jen said...

oh how horrible. I'm glad you didn't faint. How scary.

Christine said...

You were very brave. :) Sorry, that must have been so hard to go through!